16 years ago

{{gwi:343164}}

Need help IDing this tropical

Thanks

Comments (25)

• 16 years ago

Whatever it is, I want it.

• 16 years ago

:) Still in need of an ID...........anyone?

• 16 years ago

is it growing off of that plant behind it?

• 16 years ago

what about a spirea? Hopefully the link at the bottom will work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spirea

• 16 years ago

Spirea isn't tropical. (Unless you consider New Jersey the tropics.) ;-D

• 16 years ago

hahaha i didn't look at the zone. sorry. what about saxifraga fortunei

• 16 years ago

Hi All,
    Thanks for your imput.
    The leaves in the rare are the leaves to the plant.
    It is a sprawling shrub about 6'. The guy I got it from said that it may have come from Costa Rica.
    It is not any of the ones suggested so far.
    Help anybody.............

• 16 years ago

A Citharexylum species?

Here is a link that might be useful: Citharexylum pictures

• 16 years ago

okie dokie since you said tropical sprawling bush i did another investigation :) I have another option for you.

Heliotropium arborescens âÂÂAlbaâÂÂ

Have the flowers come into full bloom? Have you had it long?

Here is a link that might be useful: Heliothrope Alba

• 16 years ago

I think you are right that plant looks just like hers. How did you know that???? I know you are in the same zone but seriously how did you know.

• 16 years ago

It's not those as I have both of those already............

• 16 years ago

well that is weird they look the same? I mean it really does look just like Citharexylum spinosum Fiddlewood, it's hard to believe that there is another plant out there with such similar features?

Here is a link that might be useful: Citharexylum Fiddlewood

• 16 years ago

the only other plant that looks close to that is citharexylum caudatum (juniperberry) but that is because they are the same species of plant.

• 16 years ago

Actually, I have to go with some type of citharexylum species. In reading up on it, alot of them are native to the Costa Rica area. The leaves on this on is somewhat rough and fuzzy. My fiddlewood plant has smooth longer leaves. But this unknown is in that genus. Thanks!
    I will keep searching for a pix of this species.
    T-

• 16 years ago

Is there any possiblility we could see a close up of one flower for detail? Are the flowers fragrant? It would be helpful to know if the leaves are opposite or alternate, or in whorls.

• 16 years ago

This is the only other photo I have.........
    hope this helps..........
    {{gwi:343165}}

• 16 years ago

It's not a Citharexylum unfortunately. If you could get a close up of a flower showing the number of petals, stamens etc. and let us know the leaf arrangement, it would be very helpful. Right now I'm not even able to place it in a family...

• 16 years ago

Actually, it is a citharexylum. I had a someone at the agricultural library help me research it yesterday. So, I also posted it on Davesgarden.com and they id' it as a citharexylum. Why do you think it isn't?

• 16 years ago

I have to disagree. Citharexylum has tetragonal branches and opposite leaves, this one looks like it has round branches and alternate leaves.

• 16 years ago

what could it be? without extra pictures needed for identification.

• 16 years ago

* Kingdom: Plantae Haeckel, 1866 - plants
    * Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae Cavalier-Smith, 1981 - green plant
    * Phylum: Tracheophyta Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
    * Subphylum: Spermatophytina (auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - seed plants
    * Infraphylum: Angiospermae auct.
    * Class: Magnoliopsida Brongniart, 1843 - dicotyledons
    * Order: Campanulales
    * Family: Campanulaceae
    * Subfamily: Ericoideae
    * Tribe: Calluneae
    * Genus: Citharexylum R.A. Salisbury, 1802
    * Species: spinosum
    * Botanical Name: Citharexylum spinosum L.

About the family Campanulaceae:

The Campanulaceae are herbs, shrubs, or rarely small trees comprising about 70 genera and 2,000 species usually with milky sap. The leaves are nearly always alternate and simple; stipules are absent The flowers are bisexual, and actinomorphic in the subfamily Campanuloideae but zygomorphic in the Lobelioideae. The perianth and androecium are usually 5-merous, sometimes 3-10-merous. The calyx and corolla each consist of connate segments. The stamens equal the number of corolla lobes, alternate with them, and are adnate to the extreme base of the corolla or epigynous zone or more commonly arise from the annular epigynous nectary disk; the filaments are distinct and the anthers are introrse and only weakly connivent around the style in the Campanuloideae but in the lobelioideae the introrse anthers and also often the filaments are firmly connate. The gynoecium consists of a single compound pistil of usually 2 carpels and locules with numerous axile ovules in the subfamily Lobelioideae but usually consists of 3-5 carpels and locules with numerous axile ovules in the subfamily Campanuloideae. The single style commonly has a number of lobes or stigmas equal to the number of carpels. The ovary is nearly always inferior and is generally crowned with an epigynous annular nectary disk. The fruit is usually a capsule or berry. -- Gerald Carr.

• 16 years ago

I don't know what it is, unfortunately, I've gone thru both Botanica and a Tropicals catalogue to no avail. Note that the text you have highlighted above is a description of the family Campanulaceae, not the genus Citharexylum which is usually placed in the family Verbenaceae.

From the RHS Dictionary of Gardening:
    "Citharexylum L. Fiddlewood, Zitherwood. Verbenaceae. 70 species of trees or shrubs, some armed. Branches tetragonal, leaf scars large, corky, elevated on prominent protuberances. Leaves opposite or in whorls of three, simple, deciduous, entire or dentate, sessile or petiolate, exstipulate. Inflorescence indeterminate, racemiform or spicate, axillary and terminal, simple or sparsely branched, elongate, multi-flowered, erect or nodding; flowers small, subtended by small bracts, stalked or sessile, bisexual, regular or zygomorphic; calyx gamosepalous, tubular or cyanthiform, thin, accrescent, apex truncate and entire or 5-lobed and toothed; corolla gamopetalous, hypocrateriform, 5-lobed, yellow or white, sometimes lilac, violet or blue, lobes slightly irregular, throat generally pubescent; stamens 4-6, 5th staminodal, usually didynamous, inserted at or above middle of corolla tube, included, anthers ovoid or sagittate, introrse, erect, medifixed; ovary perfect or imperfectly 4-locular, each locule uniovulate, bicarpellate. Fruit drupaceous, exocarp juicy, endocarp hard, separated in two pyrenes by a median fissure. Z9."

• 16 years ago

I will post additional pictures of the leaves tomorrow.
    The leaves on C. spinulosum look different to the leaves on this plant. The flowers on this plant is not fragrant. Hopefully the pix I post tomorrow will be better.

• 16 years ago

{{gwi:343166}}

{{gwi:343167}}

{{gwi:343168}}

{{gwi:343169}}

These are pix of the small plant I bought from the vendor. Don't know it it helps.

• 16 years ago

It helps, I think most of the time it is easier to find out what it is by the leaves. They alternate on the stems, they have wavy edges, and they are simple. I think you will get a really good id. Everyone here is awesome, they can find practically anything.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County