SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenneditor

Pond leaking slowly--can't figure out problem

jenneditor
13 years ago

For the past month or two I've noticed my pond leaking about 6-8 inches over the course of a week and I keep having to add new water (It doesn't seem to go down for the first few days and then gradually loses an inch or two a day the rest of the week). It's a standard kidney shaped pond, about 8' x 11' and about 2 1/2-3 ft deep with a waterfall. I've had the pond about 4 years. It has a standard black vinyl liner (with admittedly some creases in the liner), and the pump feeds the water through a black tube that goes to an external filter (the kind that looks like a garbage can, with 3 grades of foam inside it) and a tube coming from that to the waterfall. I've already turned off the waterfall a few times and determined that's not the source of the leak.

I tried the milk test and it didn't help locate any leaks. There's very few rocks in the pond, and I have a couple of water lily plants in large containers at the bottom of the pond.

I would appreciate any suggestions, as I'm clearly not an expert on this problem. I can let the water keep going down, but I'm concerned that at some point I could burn out the pump motor if I'm not vigilant enough, and I've got about 17 koi and goldfish varieties (none larger than 10 inches, and about half of them 3-inch babies from the winter). I'm worried that with winter approaching I will not figure out this problem in time and don't want to lose my beautiful fish!

I appreciate any insight you could offer!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm