SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
genie_wilde

Clover-pattern, egg-shaped green leaf, green berries?

genie_wilde
16 years ago

I don't have a photo, but I'm hoping my description will generate some leads that I can then look up to help me identify this decorative "weed" (wildflower? wild shrub?) that's popped up in my flower bed.

I'm not sure whether to call it a simple leaf or a compound one. The individual leaves are usually arranged in basically a triangular pattern (radiating out from a stem, with the leaf tips forming more or less an equilateral triangle, like a 3-leafed clover) but sometimes forming a square ( like aa 4-leafed clover.) But sometimes there are smaller individual leaves between or under the 3 or 4 main ones.

The individual leaves are kind of a kelly or forest green. They are egg-shaped, like a common Beech leaf.

In the center of the cloverleaf pattern, there is a cluster of pale green berries (?), each about the size of a peppercorn. They might be flower buds, but the plant's been there a couple months with those little green berry things and no flowers have emerged yet, as far as I can tell.

The overall plant has bushed out quite a bit (after I pinched off the top of the first main shoot), so now I have a bunch of these little 3-leafed triangles with the cluster of little pale green or greenish white 'berries' in the middle.

So now the plant is about 12" to 18" tall and has bushed out to a diameter of about 18" to "22."

The middle picture at this link, of the "Trifoliolate" leaf (One pair of leaflets and a terminal leaflet [to the right, typical in clover species]) is similar, but the individual leaflets are 'fatter' -- they look like rather dark green beech leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trifoliate leaf pattern

Comments (8)