SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Spring Bounty

melissa_thefarm
15 years ago

We recently finished spreading the thirty tons of hay from last year over the garden beds, with another eleven tons due to arrive this month. This should see us through spring and summer, but I suspect that by fall we'll need more. There are spots right now that could use some mulch. It's a slow, slow business, but the soil is getting better.

Then there's the deluge of cow manure and soil from the neighbors' cattle enclosure above the shade garden. A drainage comes down from there, and with the heavy rains of late last spring and this winter, huge amounts of organic matter came down from the heavily trampled ground of the enclosure. Much of the shade garden has now been fertilized for the rest of time, and it needed it, too. I hope the roses don't die from the shock of so much richness--they took months of flood-sodden soil with perfect aplomb.

So we're in good shape as far as soil improvement is concerned. I'm still pruning 'Jaune Desprez' and 'Maréchal Niel'--sinfully neglectful of me not to have finished by now--and have a couple of snow-squashed Teas to either pull up and tie or prune. The bay laurel continues to grow and is now threatening to shade out 'Mme. Alfred Carrière', perched in a bed below the terrace with not quite enough soil to dig her roots into. I went plant shopping a couple of days ago, coming back with eight clematis, a couple of barberries, which I love, and quite a few plants that came from other gardeners, so the car was full and I had to drive with a pittosporum under my elbow. After a week of rain at the end of February March has been warm and dry, and it really feels like spring. The roses are seriously leafing out now, the grass is green and lush, and the daffodils are blooming. We have planted a lot of plants since the beginning of last fall, and now are waiting impatiently for our garden to grow! Fortunately there are the more mature parts of the garden with their roses that will start to flower in a little over a month, distracting us from the olive trees that need a few years to gain size, and the young, not yet familiar roses planted during the last two seasons. Pruning and staking aren't our strong points, and many of our plants are a little cockeyed. Still, we get a lot of pleasure from our garden, and we think it's beautiful. I hope a good many of my rosemary and lavender cuttings from last fall take--the rosemary doesn't look promising--because I need plenty of companion plants. I hope the clematis do well. We'll make them bamboo pyramids and then let them scramble among the roses, or so I hope. Two of the clematis were Montanas, to grow up into the treetops at the bottom of the shade garden, there to be joined by Lady Banks roses, yellow and white to the pink of the Montanas. My cloud canopy of flowers is a fantasy, but it may come true.

It's spring!

Melissa

Comments (10)