SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linrose_gw

Alfalfa, and Plant-Tone and Compost, oh my!

linrose
15 years ago

OK, so here comes my annual ritual of digging planting holes and fertilizing established roses and creating new beds, etc, etc. Sometimes I feel like an alchymist when I concoct these organic stews for my plants! And I'm a bad doobie when it comes to writing down what I do from year to year so I start all over figuring out just how much of what to spread or add to the hole or whatever.

So I'm coming to you to ask for your secret recipes for soil amendments, conditioners, etc. when you plant and for your already established roses. I always use alfalfa and Plant-Tone, or Rose-Tone if I can find it locally, every spring on the established roses. I used to have a recipe for the new guys but I think its lost in one of my forgotten garden journals from years ago, back when I used spiral-bound notebooks.

To add to the confusion I've got so many new projects going and they're all going to need different treatments. I started a lasagne bed last fall and I just topped it off with compost starter to get the chopped leaves decomposing. I don't know, it just seemed like the right thing to do! And just today my DH and I decided to expand a bed so he's out there right now stripping sod, by hand mind you, to make way for the roses I've ordered and don't have a place for. So that bed will need a whole different approach.

I like to garden organically, because it makes the most sense to me. I will bring out the Miracle-Gro for potted plants but my garden is not sprayed or fertilized with synthetics. I make my own compost and use shredded leaves mostly because that's what I have the most of. I hate buying amendments but when I do I get a dump load of compost from the city each spring because I can't make enough of my own. And I always get a 50 lb bag of alfalfa from the feed store each spring, sometimes two. I figure the nitrogen in the alfalfa will help digest some of the shredded leaves and speed the composting process in the lasagne beds.

Oh, and I came across a product called Bio-Tone, an Espoma product, at Lowes today so I bought a few bags, gonna try it out on the new transplants and see what happens, if anything. Anybody know about this product?

So what are YOUR tips and tricks? I know there's a wealth of information among you all, and it's probably been talked to death, but let's do it again anyway!

Comments (14)