SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mainegard3

Compost, this Tone, that Tone

mainegard3
11 years ago

Hi folks,

I really enjoy posting here. You all have a lot of good insight but mostly, we share the same passion.

I'm trying to simplify my "home nursery." I call it this because I have a lot of different trees, shrubs, perennials, etc. around my home in Southern Maine. What I want to simplify is the method in which I take care of my garden family. I love the simplicity of visiting each of my 200 + varieties and watching them grow. I could walk around my house 50 times in garden bliss.

Let me get to the point here. Reading posts and articles on their care is very confusing because it is all a matter of preference given the basics are met. With that said, I want to save money, keep it organic (like grandma or the old farmer would)and let the wildlife enjoy it like I do. I know that one size doesn't fit all but I am going to throw some questions around for you to help me sort this out. My confusion is similar to when you have to pick out a dressing at the supermarket and there are about 100 varieties in front of you....ahhh!! BTW-I don't want to make my own compost at this time short of keeping grass clippings and some fall mulched leaves on the lawn.

In "general," what are the basic guidelines I need in order to have a beautiful, healthy and natural looking landscape over time. I'm not in a hurry nor do I want to show off to the Joneses. I want to stick to the basic necessities required. In other words, I want to avoid too much TLC. Thank you all in advance : )

1. Minimum water requirements?

2. Minimum requirements for fertilizer, mulch, compost, this Tone, that Tone, this meal, that meal, manure, etc.,etc?

3. Minimum insect and disease control requirements?

4. Minimum pruning requirements?

5. Minimum PH, N-P-K requirements? I have neutral/slightly acidic maine soil. A bit more on the clay side.

6. Light, I got this one covered!

7. Minumum requirements for a decent looking lawn. Grass clippings? I gave up on all the this step that step programs. I'm surprised they don't give a diploma out for completing it after all the $$ you spend.

Comments (10)