SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david2006

hiding plumbing

david2006
16 years ago

I have a pond roughly 5' x 10', with one end 4' deep, the other 2-1/2' deep, and straight-down sides. There's a foot-wide ledge which was originally intended to take flagstone, but now I intend to raise the pond water level, such that about an inch of water will sit on this ledge, with a 1" vertical lip on the outside. Then I'll merge the surrounding lawn into this kind of boggy ledge, plant shallow rooting wet plants, etc. I'm putting in about a 25' stream running into the pond, with a 2' drop. I plan to pump about 3000 gph with an in-pond pump.

I'm trying to hide my in-pond plumbing as best I can, so I'm taking the following approach:

- keep all underwater runs against the side of the pond nearest the house as much as possible, so they can't be seen when you approach

- this means that the exit from the pond must run off the front left corner, to the left of the waterfall. 2" PVC will run up the near side of the pond, which won't be seen, but it of course has to come out of the water by a couple of inches, then do a 90 degree bend and go over the 1" raised liner on the outside edge of the foot-wide shelf. To avoid possible air pockets, I'm trying to keep the horizontal section on a constant, gradual, uphill slope, so it will run under the raised portion that forms the last level before the stream spills into the pond.

I don't intend to do a "rock necklace" around the pond, and in fact, the rock face that the waterfall into the pond is part of, will start running away from the pond edge immediately to the left of the waterfall, and will define the edge of the raised section that is spilling into the pond. This is right where this exiting up-pipe is going to be. I feel though that this will mar the aesthetic of the waterfall, if I can't disguise it adequately.

I can cover the horizontal section that lays on the ledge with rocks/dirt, etc, but if I try to cover the 90 degree PVC elbow with rocks, it will probably look contrived, as it extends out into the "corner" of the pond, to the left of the waterfall.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to mask this? Some plant material hanging down from the ledge above? It's really bothering me, but I don't see a better option for positioning it - any other place and the downpipe will be an obvious eyesore.

Comment (1)