SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farprof

Snake in my garden of Eden

farprof
16 years ago

I have a new water garden that was installed about a six weeks ago. It is 3300 gal and is surrounded with flat rocks and gravel before you get to the bark mulch and garden plants. There are water llies in the pond and also marginalls on shelves. A Northern water snake has taken up residence.

I've found 2 comets dead by the side of the pond as though they had jumped out and a couple of fish have disappeared. I've seen the snake curled up around the potted plant I keep on the skimmer cover, swimming at the bottom of the pond in the hornwort, and sticking its head out from under several different rocks. It is about 2 1/2 ft long.

There may be 2 snakes as my husband has described seeing one much larger than the one I've seen, but he is afraid of snakes and it may have grown in his memory.

Does anyone have any experience with trapping these creatures? I don't want to kill it but I would like to relocate it to a nearby swamp. I called the local wildlife control officer who came and lifted a few rocks without finding the snake and said he would ask around because he had never caught a snake. But he hasn't gotten back to me and it has been nearly a month. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (5)