SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grendelsdad

new veggie garden, new soil, new test

grendelsdad
14 years ago

About to start my first ever vegetable garden on a very small (75 sq ft) area. Soil in this area was full of bits of trash and who knows what else, so to play it safe I had 12" of soil dug up and hauled away, and 12" of new topsoil delivered. Sent sample of new soil to Penn State for testing; results are below.

I am hoping to plant lettuce, peas, and other early crops in a couple of weeks. In the next few days, I plan to add the following to the soil:

- approx. 1 lb elemental sulfur (guidelines on test results say to use 1.25 lb/100 sq ft to bring 7.5 pH soil to 6.5)

- approx. 0.375 urea (test results suggest 0.5 lb per 100 sq ft, although I'm not really sure why, since the test doesn't include nitrogen)

- couple inches of compost (I'll use what I can from my own bins, but I doubt there's much finished compost there, so most of it will come from the city compost site)

- inch or so of peat moss

- 0.75 lb. of kelp meal (from Gardens Alive -- I happen to have a bag of it)

Does this plan seem reasonable?

Also, what's with the hugely high calcium level? I assume this is related to the high pH? Is there anything I should do about this?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Image link:

Comment