SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjm_nj

What is going on with my Privet?

mjm_nj
12 years ago

I have an old privet headge. I am fairly new property owner and I am learning. I have been working n getting everything healthy and properly maintained, but this privet has me condused. It is shaped like a hedge wall, I trim it a few times during the summer. It is not as thick as I would like it... Last year it was not really lush. I figured it was from the heat. Last summer was very hot and dry. This spring they started growing and were very lush and green. Maybe I waited to long to prun them since I had to cut off a lot of the growth and leaves to get them into the shape I wanted. They are growing leaves again now in most spots. What happened last year is happening again. about 2 or 3 weeks ago we had a heat wave of 3 or 4 days in the high 90s. It seems the leaves and growth still on the bushs went from fresh and lush to leathery rough and dark with white specks that don't come off. The headge go all the way around the property, but they all turned this way overnight it seems like. Some sides do grow a little better then others, but they all are not doing as good as they were a few weeks ago.

My care routine is I will pull out dead branches when I see them, saplings when I see them and trim them when they lose thier shape. Do I need to water these regularly like my other landscaping? I was under the impression privet can just be left alone. What should I be doing to make them healthy and full?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (11)