SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

Will these fruits cross-polinate - same gensus/different continen

njbiology
14 years ago

In Lee Reich's amazing book, "Uncommon Fruits", it is said that Fragaria vesca, F. moschata, and F. x ananassa do not freely hybridize, being of distinctly different chromosome counts. Does this mean that there is practically (although not absolutely, perhaps) no chance of natural interspecific hybridization to occur without human intervention? Diospyros virginiana, D. lotus, and D. kaki are all 90-chromosome (D. virginiana var. virginiana - not D. virginiana var. pubescence, etc.) Yet, according to J. Lehman and Clifford England, both told me that there is no way for hybridization to occur naturally, that the flowers need to be 'tricked' into receiving the cross-specific polen.

The reason that I'm interested in these sort of questions is that I intend to breed superior cultivars of native fruits as I'm interested in promoting interest and awareness in native edibles and native plants in general.

So, could anyone tell me if I would need to avoid planting the following plants in my garden so as to avoid the possibility of inter-specific hybridization between native and non-native plants? I understand that no one could know all of the cross-fertile possibilities, but perhaps some of these will stand out as an obvious match (to be avoided). For instance, Morus rubra and Morus alba being cross-compatable, but not M. rubra with M. nigra, in which case of course I would not be planting any M. alba's. Same for the European filberts.

So, if you wouldn't mind looking over the following list and letting me know which plants I need to avoid, it would be greatley appreciated!

Native plants that I'm working on growing and/or breeding:

* Plums (Prunuscerasus: Prunus americana; P. allegheniensis; P. pumilla; P. nigra; P. angustifolia; P. maritima)

* Cherries (Prunus pennsylvanica; P. serotina)

* Strawberries (Fragaria vesca; F. virginiana)

* Hawthorns (Crataegus spp.)

* Fly Honeysuckle (Lonicera canadensis)

* Allium spp.

* Crab apples (Malus spp.)

* Chokeberries (Aronia/Photinia) & American mountain ash

* Currants/Gooseberries (i.e. Ribes americana; R. triste; etc.)

Non-native plants I was intending to plant, but will not if the may hybridize with the aforementioned:

* Plums (P. domestica; P. tomentosa; P. japonica/jacquemontii)

* Peaches/Neactarines (P. persica and hybrids with European or Asian plums)

* Sour cherry (P. cerasus and hybrids with P. avium)

* Garden chives and onion (Allium cepa & A. tuberosum)

* European Hawthorns (like Crataegus schraderiana)

* Oboe Strawberry (Fragaria moschata)

* Garden/Pine Strawberry (F. anannasa spp. anannasa)

* Honeyberry/Haskaps (Lonicera kamchatika/caerulea var. edulis)

* Sweet Almond (Prunus amygdalus)

* Currants/Gooseberries (R. nigrum; R. ussuriense; R. uva-crispa; R. rubrum; R. hirtellum x grossularia (R. hirtellum being native)

* Apple (Malus x domestica)

* Sweet Almond

* Pears (Asian & European)

I believe that Prunus tomentosa would present a problem for me (crossing with P. americana & P. maritima); I don't think Prunus domestica will be a problem.

I am not sure about Prunus cerasus. I suppose what you've written in your book is that the non-native strawberries will not hybridize (on their own) with the North American species.

I suppose although currants and gooseberries do not 'readily' cross-breed, is it a possible problem? I've never seen a large crab apple, so I guess that although crab apples can pollinate and cause to fruit M. x domestica, the pollination is never completed with an actual fertilization? I think the Hawthorns of the US and Europe would readily hybridize. I guess if the pears mixed with the mountain ash at least the seed would be infertile.

(Btw, what do you think would happen with planting Amelanchier alnifolia with A. arborea and A. canadensis, etc (all being natives). I don't think a smaller serviceberry would hybridize with the larger tree forms.)

Thank you very much,

Steven Covacci

Comments (9)