SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peanuttree

stopping stratifying seeds from sprouting

16 years ago

I'm going to be stratifying some pear seeds in the typical moist-vermiculite-in-ziploc bag setup in the fridge (to make rootstocks for making more medlar trees eventually from the two I have now). However, I'm worried they may start sprouting before it is appropriate to plant them, and I may not even be around a lot of the time to do the planting. Is there any way, once the 60-90 days are up, to keep the seeds in "stasis" until I'm ready to plant them? I'm thinking the freezer, am I right? These are pear seeds collected from store-bought fruit of various varieties (please no lectures on using random rootstock like this).

Also, anybody got a link to somewhere online I can buy some mild fungicide to prevent mold. I've read chinosol is good, but couldn't find anywhere online to buy it. What are some other ones? (On the very off-chance they I would actually find it in a store)

Also, pear trees don't sucker right? That's the only trait I'm worried about picking up from my random collection of seeds - if it even exists in pears. I'm pretty dang sure that common european pear trees rarely sucker.

Comments (3)