SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heavenlyfarm

Ideas for seed starting Next year! need help!

heavenlyfarm
10 years ago

I also had this posted in growing under lights but I'm posting it here to see if I get more responses as well :)

I'm hoping to start a lot of next years seeds indoors a few weeks ahead of time, well attempt it anyways lol I plan on saving seeds tho to start outdoors if it fails and I'm gonna attempt winter sowing as well! Alot of new things! I recently redid, our one spare room that has two nice sized windows side by side and I installed a rack right under the windowsills to start seeds next year in flats and pots as well as two bay windows. I was thinking of buying germination mats (are heat mats worth the expense and do they really improve conditions? I notice even at my bay windows, alot of the plants already seem cold when i touch the soil. thinking of buying the heat mats for those windows too?) to keep the temp warm and would like to also provide some sort of lights over top to help the seedlings and prevent them from getting leggy....this always seem to be my problem and they topple over.
Not sure what the best set-up would be?(how many bulbs? whats the best brand/kind?) I'd prefer something not too expensive that will help provide healthy seedlings till they are transplanted outdoors....any ideas would be appreciated.
~Michael

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County