SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
watershaper_gw

A little Algae/UV info

watershaper
16 years ago

Does anyone know a good spot we can point to as an answer to the standard UV / algae question? I have one, but I can't mention it since I own a business. Please let me and anyone else interested know.

Basically as many have said for hundreds of posts, there is so much difference b/w string, carpet, and green water algae. When dealing with Ultra Violet lights, you must know these differences and wattage/flow numbers.

Carpet algae is healthy! Don't scrub your pond to the black! Have you seen the posts about bio boosts, you just killed a lot of what you paid for. Bio filters carry a lot, but the patina is where it lives too. As long as it isn't really long leave it alone.

String algae isn't a huge negative either, short of appearance. Barley is a great inhibitor, not an algae-cide! If you don't have that bale in a month or more before the season starts it won't help (bales must break down to be effective). Extract or pellets work much quicker and are easier to use. Otherwise there are decent topical treatments or just old fashioned brushes get removal done.

Pea Soup is the only thing that UVs handle. If you still have green water after you use a UV, either the flow or wattage is off OR the UV is faulty. I would refer Savio to any person and have sold/installed their products for a few years. That being said they have had issues with their skimmer UVs. (reference to frustrated with savio and other posts) Just replacing the bulb doesn't always work, the transformer has been the source of much the their issues. They have a new unit that we have had success with recently, Uvinex is its new name I believe. Just remember, every company has praise and ridicule, their products are great on a whole.

If you're done with UVs, the only answer is more plants for filtration, competition, and shade, OR treatment. But that is a whole other post. Good Luck and I hope this brief snapshot of algae and UVs helps.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths