SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jblanche

Where to put barley straw, UV, screen, mosquito dunks

jblanche
14 years ago

I have some questions about where to put some things in my pond. See the attached diagram and photos for more info. Sorry the diagram is not great. I can clarify as needed.

My pond capacity is about 1500 gallons. It is an old concrete pond with straight sides and a flat bottom from the first part of the 20th century. I lined it, added a bottom drain and a few other things. I've been constantly re-engineering things as years go by. This was the first year I added fish; just a few goldfish right now. This will be the first full year with a bottom drain. When I started up the pumps this spring it took about 2 weeks for the water to get crystal clear. Since passing that milestone, for about 2 weeks now it's showing increasing algae, though I can still see light objects on the pond bottom.

1. Where should I put barley straw? Right now I have one bag near the top, but fully submerged, near the skimmer & bottom drain discharge. Another bag is 8-12 inches off the bottom, near the bottom drain, trapped under a milk crate that has a plant basket weighing it down.

2. I am considering a pressurized UV filter, 20-40 watts, to supplement the 9W UV I already have. I am very tight on real estate. I might be able to fit it on the bottom drain pump discharge, near the pump. Or I could put it on the combined bottom drain and skimmer discharge closer to where the pipe dumps it back into the pond. It's my understanding that these can help reduce live algae but I am concerned about the effect on enzymes or bacteria that keep the live algae at bay.

3. Do I need a screen on the pump suction in my vortex filter? There is no media in the filter. I just clean it via the blowdown valve as needed. I haven't caught any fish yet in the vortex filter but I am wondering if I need a screen in there.

4. I have mosquito dunks in the bottom drain cleanout standpipe and in the skimmer. Should I have one in the vortex filter too? The water in there is constantly moving clockwise but at very low velocity, and floating stuff usually stays in there until I skim it with a net.

5. Any other general or specific suggestions or questions are welcomed. Thanks.

{{gwi:212836}}

{{gwi:212838}}

{{gwi:212840}}

Comments (3)