SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msulli2472

Algae On Steroids

msulli2472
11 years ago

I am not sure what is going on this year but it is different from previous years.

First the details. I have a 4,000 gallon pond. I am using a Pondmaster pressurized UV filter with a recently replaced 40 watt bulb. There are a few fish in the pond (although I canâÂÂt see them) but I do not feed them regularly if at all. The pond gets 5 hours of sun each day. I have recently added some water lilies. The pond is filled with well water and no chemicals are added.

This is essentially the same set up as in previous years however this year I have the worst case of algae ever. This is not string algae. This is the pea soup variety of algae. The water is completely dark green where as in previous years it had been crystal clear.

This condition has existed for several months now. I thought the pond would settle out and become balanced with the clear water returning but apparently not. Can anyone suggest a solution? I am considering an algaecide but I am not sure. Does anyone have a suggestion? I am thinking that if I can just get the algae under control then the filter, the UV light, and the plants could do their job and keep the water clear.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company