SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

I want a more impressive Red Hot Poker

I have some sort of Kniphofia that in its defense has made it through 2 winters but the flowers are not that impressive i.e. pasty yellow. I want bright red and this poker to be reliably hardy to zone 5.

Do you really like your Kniphofia? If so I want the specifics.

Comments (14)

• coolplantsguy
    12 years ago

I had and was impressed with 'Alcazar' for several years in a previous garden. Large clusters of dark orange flowers, maturing to yellow. Decent bloom-period.

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    12 years ago

I have a handful of the standard red types that overwinter just fine in z6. The increase in size quickly too... but i do have to say that bloom period for these seems so short. If the "grass-like" leaves didn't look decent, i would most likely pull them for something with a longer bloom period.

The yellow types i have do seem to not be as vigorous and bloom even less for me.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is such a unique looking flower that I think it is worth having for variety if one has the space. But I want red rather than faded yellow.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Think there are still a couple plants in my garden. They haven't been as impressive as they were the first year or two after planting, so I haven't paid much attention. One might have died out, not sure.

Looking back on my notes my plants are K. uvaria 'Flamenco', which I believe is seed mixture that comes in all colors (yellows, oranges, reds bicolors). Here is a pic of mine with Maltese Cross from a few years ago:
    {{gwi:194369}}

While I do like the general look and interesting flower of Hot Pokers, I DON'T care for the fact that they have such a limited bloom time and can be a bit temperamental. So no, I wouldn't say this isn't a favorite plant of mine.

I saw something interesting in a magazine awhile back about bundling up Kniphofia foliage (i.e. gathering it all together and tying) for winter. Don't think they gave much more info or explanation, but it made me wonder if perhaps this plant benefits from a well protected crown? Perhaps bundling the foliage either keeps the crown insulated or keeps the water from developing on it too much during winter? I dunno, just a thought. Might be worth a try for those who haven't had much luck over wintering them...
    CMK

Original Author
    12 years ago

Well Ken, my existing "Poker" has overwintered 2 successive years (z5) so I am good that way.

Thanks for the wonderful picture christinmk. I too have a Maltese Cross...an outstanding flower. But I see that your "Poker" flowers are like mine ie buttery yellow (although maybe yours has faded from a brighter red?).

But maybe Ken is right ie to achieve the most from such a plant one needs to be in a (much) higher zone...not sure.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

The pic is a bit washed out, so you can't tell too well, but the buds started out orange and then faded to a more golden shade as they opened. I suppose the oldest and most faded flowers were a bit more of a pale lemony shade though.

You might like taking a look at this nursery that carries a wide array of Kniphofias, several of which they list as hardy to z5.
    CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: Sequim Rare Plants

• ninamarie
    12 years ago

They grow quickly and need divided every few years for best performance. But they are hardy here.
    I have some that bloom in early, one that blooms mid to late summer and a nice yellow that doesn't show till fall. Does anyone know the approximate flowering time of various kinds?

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    12 years ago

I just started adding kniphofia in 2010 so they are still sort of wimpy individual plants, but I have hopes for a stronger show in the future... Most of my garden has 'cool' colors, so I decided to turn the herb bed into a 'hot' garden. Since it already had pale pink roses at one end, I'm working to have the colors shade from pink to peach to orange to red. Kniphofia has colors that work with that plan. From my (brief) experience with them, I'd say a good way to make them more impressive is to make them part of an appropriate color scheme, giving them good companions to carry some of the weight :-) Some pictures...:

'Summer Wine' ninebark, helenium 'Lysder Wieck', kniphofia 'First Sunrise', 'Pink Beauty' potentilla (which is a peachy sort of pink in late summer when the temperatures cool down a bit) and ordinary culinary sage:
    {{gwi:19349}}

A closer view of the kniphofia and helenium:
    {{gwi:176762}}

A couple of weeks before, there are more intense orange/reds blooming in that area:

{{gwi:171391}}

Some of the peachy transition plants that work well in the color scheme that includes the kniphofia:
    {{gwi:171390}}

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

They are not all the same, that's for sure. I got one from a friend, and another from a garden swap. One has tall thin dark orange pokers that start in mid June. One has much fatter blooms with lots of yellow on the bottom and blooms in July - about 3 weeks apart, they almost don't even have overlapping bloom times. Neither one blooms for long.

This year at Bluestone's clearance sale I bought rooperi and Firedance. So in July I should know how the new ones perform, and then I'll have a specific cultivar name. {{gwi:194370}}From Barn Bed 2008 Oranges and Golds 2
    {{gwi:194371}}From Barn Bed 2008 Oranges and Golds 2

And like Ken, I think the title of your post is a bit amusing :-)

Original Author
    12 years ago

gottagarden wrote:

And like Ken, I think the title of your post is a bit amusing :-)

I thought this would be a good way to attract interest for this thread ;).

• Rubby
    12 years ago

Blooms of Bressingham market a Kniphofia "Bressingham Comet" that I used to grow. It is supposed to be hardy in Zone 5. It's a bicolored flower (Red Tip w/ Yellow Base)

But there is also a Kniphofia "Nancy's Red" that may be what you are looking for.

{{gwi:194372}}

• Rubby
    12 years ago

Oh yeah. In regards to the Subject Line "I want a more impressive Red Hot Poker"

I remember my first week working at the nursery. Was told to go move some plants from one house another out in the field. As I am moving the plants, some guy comes walking up to me out of nowhere and says to me: "This is the most Phallus looking plant in the nursery!!!".

I couldn't help but laugh as the guy walked away. Went about my work. At the end of the day when I was punching out, the same man was standing near the office. I had to smile as I looked at him. He then introduced himself as the Owner of the nursery

• ontnative
    12 years ago

I have 'Nancy's Red', but it really lacks vigour for me here. I wonder if it is not quite hardy in this zone.