SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Dirt Day, part one

15 years ago

Typically we have one Dirt Day in the spring and one in the fall. This year we are having two spring days. A smaller group of us gathered in the hills of Sonoma County yesterday and a larger group is expected on April 11th.

We had a simply wonderful time. The garden is looking fresh and lovely, just a few roses beginning to bloom but most putting all their energy into pushing forth leaves. The April group will see a lot more bloom. We worked in the garden that features Old European Roses. Tom manned the wheelbarrow while the rest of us pulled weeds and struggled with the dreaded Himalayan blackberry, curse of the west coast. Luther Burbank may have been one of the greatest plant breeders of all time, but he has a lot to answer for having introduced the Himalayan blackberry here. I only learned yesterday that he was the culprit.

We ended up, as always, with a feast. The food is always excellent. Oh yes, most of us bought ourselves a Vintage Gardens T-shirt Mine is back black but I'm going to get a yellow one next time. Tom's is a particularly nice shade of gray-green.

Rosefolly

Comments (5)