SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kentf_gw

Triangular foundation bed needs anchor shrub

kentf
16 years ago

I could use some help planning a foundation bed. My garage comes out 90 degrees from thefront of the house, creating a nice triangular bed (about 12'for each of the walls) that gets full sun until late afternoon.

I've planted it a couple of different ways, but never gotten enough structure to make it look good year-round. Too many perennials, not enough shrubs so it gets jungle-ish in the summer and then barren in the winter.

Now it's better set up, with a spiraea (shibori and thunbergii) at each end, a rhododendron along one wall and a buddleia along the other, roses and small-leaf rhododendrons, baptisia and other perenials in the center and foreground.

The big problem is what to put at the back, where the walls meet. Last fall I moved a lilac Charles Joly) to this spot, but am wondering if it will be too big and get too little air circulation. It's about 5' tall now, and I'd want to keep it to about 6'. Is it nuts to plan to keep pruning this back every year to keep it from reaching 15'? Is it likely to get a mildew in such a protected spot? If so, any suggestions for another shrub that would anchor the bed and look good in winter. I have some nice nandina in other parts of the yard, and could move them.

All advice welcome.

Thanks.

Comments (2)