SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Found map of rose garden!

jacqueline9CA
14 years ago

My Mother-In-Law died last August, and we have been working on the house to put it on the market. I have pruned all of the roses (50-60). After my Father-In-Law died over 15 years ago, she had the gardening contractor plant roses in what had been raised beds for vegetables.

Yesterday I found a map of the garden, with all of the roses she had planted named neatly in her handwriting! They were mostly hybrid teas, but also a few old roses. My Mother-In-Law was not a gardener, but liked flowers and also liked to keep proper records of things. There are many roses in the garden that the gardening contractor did not plant, but as I planted most of them, I will be able to fill in the map with lots of other names of roses (About 4 of them were planted by my Father-In-Law during the 44 years he was the gardener - he was too thrifty to want to spend water on roses!). A few of the ones I planted are still mysteries - mostly rooted cuttings from our old garden. One is a fabulous "multiflora hybrid" that I rooted from a cutting from Clear Lake. It has grown up its arch support into an old apple tree. It is massive - 10" high by at least 12" wide. It blooms for a long time in the Spring (I spotted one blossom on it yesterday) with clusters of tiny roses which start out pink and gradually fade to white - the effect is many colors in one cluster. Only one of the hybrid teas has reverted to Dr. Huey - not my favorite rose, but at least this one is large and strong, and should make an OK Spring display.

Anyway, I am going to fill in the garden map with as many rose names or attributions as I can. It is my hope that the rose garden will not intimidate/turn off prospective home buyers - not all people would be as delighted as you and I to see a rose garden taking up half of a fenced 1/4 acre garden above a house we were looking at! I will just have to hope that many will.

Jackie

Comments (7)