SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orangeblossom_gw

Good/Bad Companion Plants?

orangeblossom
16 years ago

I'm looking for some good companion plants to go in between my roses in my flowerbeds. Does anyone have suggestions for either good plants or plants to stay away from?

Last year I planted a weird variety of lavender between each rose. The lavender had very ferny foliage and long thin stems with lavender flowers on top. Although I loved the look, the lavender eventually got huge (and moldy underneath) and started choking out the roses. We had a hard freeze this winter, and what the freeze didn't kill I ripped out last weekend. Now my beds just have the roses and down in front some dianthus and lamb's ears, which are doing well. I just need something to fill in between them but don't want to restrict the air flow.

I like the english garden look, and have a nearby herb garden. My herbs do well (esp. mint - argh!) so I was thinking of a real silver lavender or rosemary that I could keep trimmed. I'm going to a big spring festival garden show this weekend and also would like to know if there's anything I definitely need to stay away from.

Comments (10)