SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Encyclopedia of Roses is an accurate source of info.

strawchicago z5
12 years ago

I'm impressed with the 2011 edition of "Encyclopedia of Roses" by DK publisher, written by Charles & Brigid Quest-Ritson. It would answer most of the questions here.

This is the BIBLE OF ROSES for any rose growers. HMF has a few mistakes regarding zone hardiness, thornlessness, and size. I haven't found any mistakes in this big book of reference. Wise Portia is accurately reported as zone 6 (HMF listed as zone 5b) - Wise Portia did poorly in Chicago Botanical Garden's hardiness survival. In my zone 5a garden Wise Portia may not make it, while Golden Celebration next to it is green to the tip.

Peter Beales' website has many mistakes on thorns (like listing Paul Neyron as thorny, versus less thorn on Jacques Cartier!!) This "Encyclopedia of Roses", written by 2 English folks, is very accurate on degree of thorniess, specifying "few prickles, large thorns, many prickles ...etc". The most useful info. is the climate: whether a rose does well in a hot & dry, or wet and damp like England.

The book also features large rose gardens across the world, and profiles on all the breeders. The size specified for each rose is very accurate, as well as the propensity for diseases.

Comments (9)