SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grullablue

opinions on Nandina domestica, Pieris Japonica shrubs

grullablue
15 years ago

I'm considering some foundation plants for my north facing foundation that sees shade through all but a few hours in the morning. I keep looking at all of my options, but I keep coming back to a few that I just don't think I can have. Nandina Domestica (Heavenly Bamboo), but I am in southern WI, zone 5, and everywhere I read says zone 6 for this plant at least. What are my chances? Anyone ever tried in zone 5? I read it's extremely common and invasive down south, but I've never seen it here that I've noticed. So thinking it's not something I should even try!

Another one I really like is the Pieris Japonica, Mountain Fire especially. Ok for my zone, ok for shade, but not sure if I can find it locally or would have to order...then where?

I also like the Alexandrian Laurel (danae racemosa)but I think this, also is not suitable for my zone. There are also some hollies I've looked at, but for various reasons, I didn't think they would work, but the pieris and nandina are my two top picks! As you can tell, I like my broadleaf evergreen types! I'd just love some opinions especially on the first two from people who have them. And of course, I'd love to see pics of these beautiful shrubs just for fun!

Thanks for reading

Comments (13)