SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunkers_gw

dealing with soggy front yard that won't drain, convert to water

bunkers
16 years ago

The city just recently completed a drainage project through my property.

The is both an underground drainage systema and above ground drainage swale (emergency swale).

The emergency swale is rock lined in my backyard with a catch basin, then becomes a 12" deep (by 20' wide) grass-lined swale in the front yard.

They added a double curb chase drain, which allows for draining right into the street drain, but the drain seems on ly drain till the last inch.

So the last inch of water remains in my yard, resulting in a super soggy center part with is about 3' wide by maybe 10-15 into the yard.

The sod looks green but is difficult to mow and isn't rooting like it is everywhere else. It's starting to look black in a few spots. I also spotted a small toad the other day when mowing. The water depth by the curb is about 1" deep. Its progressively less deep as you go further from the curb and seems mowable 10-15' into the yard.

I also don't have enough drop in my yard for them to correct this issue.

When me or my neighbor irrigates our yard, the water can flow all the way from the back to front in some instances. So this area seems perpetually wet, even during weeks when no rainfall has occured at all.

So my question is:

- do I try to pump this water out?

- do I try to convert some yard to water loving plants than can be overrun

by water on occasion ?

- do I try install veritical PVC drains to give the final 10 gallons another place to go? or a drywell?

- do I add pourous layers, like rock into this area, to give water a new home ... or will that just make this existing puddle deeper?

Here is a picture of my front yard before the sod was added:

{{gwi:227157}}

In the part near the curb drains, I have considered the idea of converting this area from grass to something like a water garded or just a confined area with water loving plants within it. Would this look good? Advice desperately needed!

Thanks,

Scott

Comments (7)