SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Weigela, Ninebark or Elderberry for this spot?

thisismelissa
11 years ago

Hi all, First, I apologize for the book.... brevity is not my strongsuit!

I wonder if I could get your opinion on this.

I'm gradually re-doing the front landscape. Mostly because of the mistakes made by the previous owners not considering the long term ramifications of the choices they made.

Right now, my consideration is the area under the window to the right. That Dwarf Alberta Spruce has been failing for a few years now and it's just the wrong shape for the spot.

Here is the context:

The house faces directly East. The shutters are dark green, but don't quite look the right color in this pic. This section of the house is about 14'. Just around the corner of the house is a Weigela, presumably 'Wine & Roses'. In front of that, just off the corner of the house is a yew. Hate it. But I have to live with it for now. In the yard is a large 'Black Hills' Spruce. Will probably have to come out or get seriously limbed up within 5 years, to maintain a path around the house..

The Buff Limestone... tons and tons of it... is not going to be around long term. I've started the process of removing it... as I re-work each section of the landscape, I'll remove it and replace it with wood mulch.

To the left of the area are 3 Crimson Pygmy Barberry. In front of those barberry, where you see the potted daylilies, is a drift of daylilies around a large ceramic pot. The pot is dark green.

The maple will come out. Hopefully before next spring. But that's a difficult subject to handle with hubby. I'm considering what to replace it with.

So, the area in question gets sun from about dawn till 1:30pm. The overall planting scheme is chartreuse, dark burgundy/purple and a few accents of light blue.

This spot needs dark purple/burgundy foliage, as it will best contrast against the white house. It's about 42" to the bottom of the window and the space is about 48" deep. I am considering the following plants as they are readily available and fit the current planting scheme:

Weigela:

Spilled Wine-it reportedly stays dark purple all season. The only problem I have with it is that it only gets to be 24" tall. I'd really like something 36-42"

Wine & Roses-It doesn't stay a true burgundy. It turns greenish. Gets up to 5' tall. Significantly taller than needed.

Dark Horse-a smaller version of 'Wine & Roses' 3'x3'

Elderberry:

Black Beauty-according to the tag, it can be sheared to the ground, so it can presumably be kept in check to remain under the window.

Ninebark:

Little Devil-In this pic, what is blocked out of view by the maple, is a tree-form Diablo Ninebark, right at the corner of the sidewalk. Little Devil would echo that. Size is exactly what is needed. However, in my yard, I've had some issue with powdery mildew on ninebark. This is the drawback on this.

Would you please comment on these options?

Thanks so...

Comments (9)