SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Clipped versus informal shrubs or picket fence?

I am toying with the idea of making a sort of garden room. My whole planting scheme has been very country, cottage garden and utilitarian to go with the 1810 farmhouse. It's all very open no matter which side of the yard you are walking through. I thought (maybe wrongly) I could solve a problem with a wind corridor and perhaps close off an area slightly that can be viewed from the kitchen wing making a "private garden". To do this I either need some shrubs or a shrub/fence combo.

I already know that yews will grow well in the yard; several were vastly overgrown and we had to remove some huge ones that were too large and sited wrongly . The tall older arborvitae grow (don't know cultivar) but I would think about the shorter types-maybe Emerald. Then there is the more natural approach of perhaps a fence with bridalwreath spirea fountaining over (used together as a windbreak) or just an appropriate fence with perennials on the inside.

I have flowering deciduoous shrubs in mind to put within some sections of the area so I want to provide a green or fence backdrop on at least 3 sides. I'm just hashing this out in my mind and am looking for ideas including whether this sounds inappropriate given the house's age. The hedge should be no more than 6-8 feet max and work in sun or part sun. Do I have any other options?

Comment (1)