SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grambu

Senior rose gardeners

grambu
10 years ago

I wanted to just say a few words about rose gardening as a senior. When planning for a new rose garden most people advise you to start small, plant a few roses and wait a year or two to see how those progress and then slowly add a few more plants and wait for them to mature. I see very few comments about planting what you want and if next year you don't like them , toss or give away. I say this as a 72 year old woman who has always loved gardening; but now I have to take a different approach. Many of us have downsized and no longer have the large homes and gardens. Many like myself have moved to a condo and everything has to be in containers. So here is my advice, decide what colors and type of roses you want ex. pinks, peaches and yellows with a dash of red., floribundas with few thorns. Look up these favorites in books or online, purchase them and then plant them wherever you can. Even if they are not perfect for your climate or containers. Sometimes I have to treat them as annuals; but then have the fun of trying something different next year. We cannot always wait a few years for our roses grow into perfection. So have fun now, plant what you enjoy and don't think about growing roses for perfection. At our age I think we should plant what we can afford, money and space wise and just enjoy them without being overly concerned about fertilizer, sprays or soil conditions. This year I went all out and eliminated all flowers from my containers and purchased 16 bare root roses to replace in them. I spent more time, something seniors have, looking up rose types and colors before I ever placed an order. Gardening is good exercise as well as good for improving our brain power by looking up and learning new rose facts.
I just thought I would throw these thoughts out there to remind other seniors that neither us or our roses have to be perfect! Judith

Comments (11)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm