SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

winter die back

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
13 years ago

My winter damage is greater than it has been in the past. I am working hard to cut back the black canes, or partial black canes.

Is it vital to get those canes cut as soon as possible? If the cane is about half black, then the rest green, has it already been determined how far back the damage will go, or can I save more of the cane by cutting it now?

I have many roses and many outdoor chores to do now. The two weeks of closed school because of the low temperatures and snow have left me with an extended school day for the rest of the year. That is fine since my last day is June 1, but the extended day is interfering with what I can do.

I need to dig up roses, prepare beds, etc. It will take time to try to cut back all the dead growth, but if that dead growth will begin to kill the rest of the rose, I will cut it, and worry about disposing of the cut canes later.

I have a huge time management problem that I am sure many of you share.

However, my basic question: If I take a couple of weeks to get the dead growth cut off, will that time mean that the dead growth will spread down the cane? Or, has it already been determined how much of the cane is dead?

Also, I have no hybrid teas except for Buck roses.I mainly have tea, noisette, and china roses.

Thanks,

Sammy

Comments (6)