SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clarabelle63

another green water question

clarabelle63
14 years ago

Hi everyone... I have been cruising the site for a couple of weeks now, reading what dial-up and time constraints allow of me. I am new at ponding, building one on the fly and with a offer of free fish and plants from a relative. I figured that it would be great therapy for me and my elderly chrionically ill mother, who by the way, lives with me. I love my pond, but of course have made a ton of mistakes since I didn't research the way I should have, and am working on correcting the error of my ways. My pond is made from a PVC liner, approximately 6 x 6 x 3 ft at the deepest and is some where in the 500 gallon range. The pond gets about 5 to 6 hours of afternoon to evening sunlight I started out with a 325 gph pump and box filter in the bottom of my pond and the water is from a well. I added some pond start, the 8 goldfish given to me... ranging in size from 2 inches to approx. 10 inches, and 3 pots of hardy water lilies and 3 pots of miniature cattails potted in heavy garden soil. This was last September. I went through the algea bloom, things cleared up, things got green again and I didn't worry about it because my plants hadnt had time to establish and winter was basically here. Winter came and I pulled my pump and filter, threw in a heater and let nature have her way. Spring came. In May I drained the pond, scrubbed it out and started over with the same stuff...got the algea bloom, things cleared up, things greened up again...only this time I had really "hairy" looking algae hanging on my my plants, which was pretty gross. The liner was green, but not an issue as far as I was concerned. I tested my water with the dipstick type tests and things were within normal limits according to them. The plants grew, lilies bloomed, cattails got catkins, fish look and act fine, have a frog population, but the hairy algea on the plants grossed me out to the max. My daughter bought me a few water hyacinths and some water lettuce for Mother's day, so those were added. Then in July I bought a 700 gph pump with built in UV and a new "pressurized filter" which really isn't much more than what my box filter was. I figured I wasn't circulating enough water. The water cleared up almost instantly...and the hairy algea decreased dramitically. Then everything went green again...Here I am in August, with green water again. My question? Is this a result of starting the new filter and will it clear on its own? The built in filter on my pump was clogging up so much with green crud that I wrapped my pump in batting, put it in a large flower pot, covered the whole thing in lava rock and sat it on a milk crate in the deepest part of my pond to help filter stuff. We have had an extremely wet summer and the temps have been only in the mid 80's at most. Is part of my problem the rain water and possibly run off from the rain? By the way...my water lettuce and hyacinths never really did much... Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Comments (10)