SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gunderson1909

forsythia pruning advice please - timing?

gunderson1909
17 years ago

Hello, I am new to the garden forum. there are a number of shrubs I am familiar with, but forsythia is one I have never tended.

What exactly is meant by pruning just after flowering? We inherited these forsythia from the previous owners.

{{gwi:250608}}

{{gwi:250609}}

They seem to be past the prime bloom. We also had freezing temps and snow here post-bloom.

I suspect they have been here for many many years. Neighbors mentioned that the last owner pruned them in hedge fashion in the fall and therefore had little bloom. Under the assumption that forsythia bloom on old wood, we left them alone last year. The topmost shoots are new growth from last year - big spurt. We would like them to have a natural shape to them (not hedge). They are quite gangly now at the top and could fill in toward the bottom. In summer they do provide a nice green shield from the alley. Eventually I would like to mix it up back there with other shrubs, but for now we just need to deal with what we have. I am considering cutting them back quite a bit to refresh them. I am a bit confused about timing and degree of pruning for these early bloomers. What do you wonderful gardeners with forsythia experience recommend?

Comments (10)