SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blizzardnole

HELP! Sudden, massive leaf drop in new Japanese hollies

blizzardnole
18 years ago

One month ago I planted four Japanese "Compacta" hollies along my front foundation. The soil is well drained and amended with Leafgro, they get morning sun and afternoon shade (east exposure), and I hose-watered generously every few days. One thing I noticed was that the roots were really packed in there, some to the point of being just mats of root in some places. I scored them well in four places to stimulate the roots.

A couple days ago I noticed some leaves had fallen on two of them, and I gave them a feel. The leaves just RAINED off of them! They dropped at least 75% of their leaves evenly all over the plants. A third has lost half, and the fourth one is fine. The shrubs had not turned brown or pale, and the fallen leaves are green and flexible. The garden center thinks I underwatered, saying they need to be watered with a slow-trickling hose at the base of the trunk for 20 minutes twice a week.

If anyone has ideas what may have caused this, please let me know what you think:

1. Does this sound like underwatering shock? Or maybe transplant shock? I figure it's too early for something like root rot. Some azaleas planted at the same time are doing fine.

2. Could these hollies regenerate their leaves, or should I consider them gonners? The center will replace them, but I want to give them a chance.

THANK YOU!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting