SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mellfiera

Need a well behaved climber for a Z7 chainlink fence

mellfiera
14 years ago

I'm embarking into the wonderful world of rose growing this year, except I've hit a snag. My husband put in an ugly chainlink fence in our back yard to keep the kids in. I got the bright idea to cover it with roses and had planned on getting one vigorous climber to train over it. My problem is that I hadn't realized that the way it's been installed, instead of one long fence, I've got 3 6'x8' sections of fence separated by two 6'x2 or 3' gates. The roses I was considering for back there are all big girls: Chevy Chase, Violette, and Zeus. Now I need something that I won't have to be at with the pruners several times a year just to keep it in check (I already have a wisteria that's trying to eat the backyard for that!).

I'm looking for a dark colored, won't-fade-to-white-in-the-sun climber that will behave itself. I'm open to any color except white or pink, since I'm also getting an Alberic Barbier for an arbor, and Renae to go over a trellis near a weeping cherry and the azealas I inherited from my Mother-in-Law. I don't mind once bloomers as long as its fragrant. I can't abide a flower that doesn't smell like anything!

Comments (11)