SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
subk3

RRD on multiflora on my farm...now what?

12 years ago

Early today I order my very first OGRs. They should be here in a couple weeks. This afternoon I was working on cleaning up the fence line some of these roses are destined for and found multifora with what I'm now pretty sure is RRD. (This is where I cuss.)

The multiflora were already planned for eradication. Even before I knew why they looked funny they were treated with Round Up today. I was going to wait for the RU to kick in then dig them out in a week or so as I figure that will do a better job possibly killing the root if I don't get it all.

Now I'm not sure what to do. There are probably 4 or 5 multiflora in a couple hundred yards of fence line. (And I haven't hopped the fence yet to see what I might find on my neighbor's side.) What's the best way to eradicate them considering the RRD? Can I get rid of them now and in a few weeks plant the roses I have on order within a few yards of where I got rid of the infected bushes? What about the roses I ordered for my perennial beds which are 100 yards away from the fence line but fortunately up wind?

I haven't gone whole hog in ordering and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I put in the three I ordered for the fence line and lost them. I'm actually more concerned that I extend the life cycle of RRD in close proximity to me if I do that. I could possibly nurture these new plants in the perinniel beds 100 yards away, but for how long would I need to do that? Is it even reasonable to think I can get rid of the multiflora and have a clean slate?

I am a complete OGR newbie and so in over my head here that I may not even be asking the right questions. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations