SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newplanter211

What shrubs will thrive in clay soil in Texas?

newplanter211
14 years ago

I have a space that is about 4 feet wide between two tall shrubs that I'd like to plant a flowering shrub. I have no idea what kind of shrubs are already in the ground, but they are doing well and are obviously two different kinds of non-flowering shrubs (they're about 5 feet tall).

The soil is a heavy clay. There are no gutters on the house, so, when it rains, this area gets very, very soggy and takes a while to drain. The area faces west, but is partially shaded by a huge tree in the afternoon. I was going to try an azalea, but I just don't have enough gardening experience to properly prepare the soil to drain well...so I really need something that will thrive in the clay soil with little alterations.

I've read mixed reviews on things like rose bushes, rose of sharon, honeysuckle, lantana, etc. Can anyone recommend a hardy, flowering shrub that will do well in this environment? Please keep in mind that it is next to the foundation of the house as well as in between two other shrubs. I don't mind if it gets fairly tall...anywhere from 3-6 feet tall is fine. I just don't want anything where the roots will get into the foundation or choke out the other shrubs.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice!

Comment (1)