SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iagarden

Costs vs. Benefits of florescent vs. HID

iagarden
17 years ago

This year was the first year where I started seeds under lights and I was lucky to be very successful. I have 4, 4' dual T8 florescent fixtures. This seemed to cover a 4x2 foot area quite nicely.

My question is this. When you add up all the costs of the reflectors and the bulbs, it's getting very close to the cost of some HID systems.

If you were willing to DYI, one could build a 400 watt Metal Halide system for around $45 or buy one pre-built for $125. Throw in a bulb for $20 or so.

I understand that seedlings don't "need" HID setups, but I wonder if it could cover the same or even greater area with a single reflector. With floro, 8, 32 watt tubes is 256 watts / 8 square feet is 32 watts per square foot. A 400 watt HID light could cover 12.5 square feet with the same intensity.

The disadvantages of the single HID reflector is that I wouldn't be able to raise and lower 4 different reflectors depending on the height of different seedlings but perhaps that doesn't matter as much as the intensity of a HID is so much greater than florescent tubes. Also, heat is an issue.

Has anyone thought of making a switch to HID for seedling raising or does anyone have some comments they would like to share?

Thanks.

Comments (4)