SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laylaa_gw

Woodland saplings - image heavy!

laylaa
14 years ago

These are plants coming up in my woods which I am having difficulty pinning down. Probably native or escapees, none were cultivated with intent. Any advice is appreciated. These are located in north Georgia, zone 7b, very organic soil. All were covered in honeysuckle last season and managed to grow with very little sun. This year they got dappled sun and have excelled, but I can't really say what sort of light they grow in.

#1 - growing on mixed woodland edge. I am leaning toward Morus on this one. Leaves are hairy, to the point of prickly and quite stiff. Stiffer and hairier than any mulberry I have run across. Resembles hackberry or raspberry in that regard. It's only about 2' tall but once the sun hit it, this season it put out a lot of growth, mainly spring. Too young to flower! Oddly little insect munching. There are two of them and the other is the same, no insects seem to bother it.

{{gwi:324619}}
{{gwi:324620}}
{{gwi:324621}}

Leaf underside:

{{gwi:324622}}

#2 - I've fallen in love with this tree, so don't tell me it's some horrid monster named Jacques Japonica. It's very dark green, growing in organic pine woodland, and just a tough plant. It was smothered in vines and came out extremely healthy. Anyhow, it is about 10', all growth put out in spring only, leaves started medium green then matured darker, lighter undersides. Leaves medium thick, smooth edge and it's overall baby tree shape looks like it really wants to weep in the manner of an American beech. Branches are growing draping towards the ground. It gets a lot of shade and seems delighted with that.

{{gwi:324623}}
{{gwi:324624}}
{{gwi:324625}}
{{gwi:324626}}
{{gwi:324627}}
{{gwi:324628}}

#3 - Thought this was Calycanthus floridus when it first came up - lots of sweetshrub here, but it's not. Found in oak woods. Leaf veins are almost lime green. Leaves just keep getting bigger. New growth all season, it's just slowed down, but the individual leaves still keep getting bigger...a neighbor has a deciduous magnolia it looks like but not quite. I have no ideas on this one.

{{gwi:324629}}
{{gwi:324630}}
{{gwi:324631}}
{{gwi:324632}}
{{gwi:324633}}

Thanks for any tips - I'm trying not to hack down anything worthwhile.

Comments (4)