SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grullablue

clearing overgrown area, woodland paths...

grullablue
12 years ago

I hate winter, and spend it thinking about what I'm going to do in the spring....so here goes.

We live in the country on a small farmette, and behind our house is a woods, and a natural pond behind the house. A couple of years ago, I cut a meandering path through part of the woods, off the yard, that leads me to a partial clearing of sorts. It's like a dip in the treeline, large, and half oval shaped. There are some beautiful rocks there, and a lot of brush.

To anyone who's ever tackled something like this....I have a couple of questions. To keep all the tall weeds from growing up in the spring, should I spray the area? There are some "weedy" trees I want to get rid of as well. But once the weeds are fully grown, they're up to my waist! I want to get a start on it before those weeds come up. I have considered making a small orchard back there...with a nice, fairly short, but meandering path through the woods. I already have that cleared out. Although if not used regularly, that starts growing over too. I'd like to put in some sort of footing...sand, or limestone screenings, mulch...I don't know. The path is pretty short, but long enough that installing a paver type walk way, financially, is out of the question. I am looking for EASY bridge plans as well...something I could do myself...as along that path, there's an inlet to the pond, that's been washed away through the years, where the runoff runs into it (or out of it if the pond floods). It's a ditch filled with rocks, and not easy to walk across. So I just want a small bridge over it. I have some beautiful tiger lilies growing in sunnier sections along the path...and will probably add to the plantings this year. Just an idea I've had...I'd like to use some of that space, and it would be perfect, out of the way (as far as the yard goes), and a beautiful short walk to get there. I took some pics at one time...and have them in an album. You can see I have a lot of work ahead of me!

https://picasaweb.google.com/mygrullabluefotos/TheSecretGardenOrNot?authkey=Gv1sRgCKHevq2A_7r-MQ

Comments (9)