SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hardin_gw

Fall and winter...What I need to know.

hardin
14 years ago

I know I don't have everything I need yet, so I thought I'd start a list and buy as I go along, before fall weather is upon us. I have also read older post regarding winter care, but I still have a few questions.

I have the basic set-up for my pond. It is approx. 1000 gallons, 2 ft max depth, has a skimmer with 3100 gph pump inside, and filterfalls. I have several goldfish, 2 small koi, and 1 small albino catfish.

I live in Zone 7, in SE Oklahoma where we never know if the winter will be hard or easy. Snow is a rarity, yet sometimes we get hit by ice storms, which have been known to knock out power for days, even weeks. Rarely do ponds ice over, but my little pond isn't as deep as natural ponds.

I have read that some keep pump on 24/7 and others shut them off. I don't know yet what I will do. My thought has been turn off large pump, but run a small pump with an air stone to keep oxygen levels up without stirring up the water too much. Also, I will definitely need a net to keep leaves out.

Questions:

1. For those in areas like mine, what do you do for winter?

2. How can I keep the net over the pond, but out of the water?

3. In the fall, what can I do to prepare fish for winter? Can I feed them certain foods to help them 'fatten' up before I stop feeding entirely? Right now, I only feed them once or twice a week in the evenings as they have enough to nibble on.

4. If I decide to only use an air pump with a stone, where should the stone be placed, shallow or deeper? Any pros or cons of use?

5. Will it help fish to have extra hidey holes added to pond? What else will help them get through winter?

6. If I decide not to use large pump that's in the skimmer, the weir door will close. Should it be kept open in case frogs try to overwinter inside or should I let it close and remove any frogs that get inside? (Don't know if I'll actually have any visitors, but asking just in case.)

7. What basic equipment/supplies do you keep on hand and why?

8. If I go with a air pump and stones, how do I determine how much air is sufficient for the fish?

That's all the question I can think of for now. I know I am getting ahead of myself but I tend to plan for the future. :)

Thanks for any and all advice.

Vickie

Comments (5)