SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

Useless seed starting equipment you thought you HAD to have?

loribee2
13 years ago

Here's a list of what I bought in my first year of trying to start veggies from seeds:

$50 4-shelf portable "Greenhouse"

$100 expensive T-5 Hydrofarm Grow Light System

$40 heating mats

$20 in trays and humidity domes

$20 in Jiffy peat pots of all sizes

What I use now:

4 oz yogurt cups I save from my lunch every day

The trays and humidity domes

Cheap 4' shop lights

A $15 fan to keep the air circulating

The only smart thing I did in my first year was try planting in plain old SuperSoil Potting Mix, only because a helpful customer saw the grossly overpriced soilless seed starting mix in my cart and told me not to waste my money.

And I should mention that the quality of my starts has improved dramatically since I simplified.

In my observations, I think people have a habit of going overboard when they're first starting out. Of course, I recall that when my son was a baby, I bought him expensive bottled Gerber baby water too. That was until I caught him eating playground sand that every neighborhood dog had peed in. When he survived without so much as an upset tummy, I realized the Gerber baby water was probably overkill and his "tender constitution" could probably handle the tap.

I think people approach seed starting the same way, and I often fight the urge to tell them to forget about all the things they think they need and start out simple. Try the window. Maybe it provides enough light. Maybe the house is warm enough to skip the heat mats. You never know until you try.

What do you think?

Comments (17)