SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kim31kim

How close can I plant my dward holly bushes?

kim31kim
18 years ago

We are planting a row of dwarf holly (Burford maybe) in front of a chain link fence. We would like for the hollies to eventually form a hedge that will block out the fence entirely. The question is, how close can we plant them together? Also, how close can we plant them to the fence? It would be great if they'd grow through the chain link so that it would be slightly hidden from the neighbors view as well. We are trying to discourage our dogs from getting between the bushes to look out the fence at the street.

When planting bushes/trees in the past I've always respected their future circumference needs and planted them with plenty of distance. This time I actually want my plants to run together and the quicker the better. I just don't want to plant them so close that they smother each other out and don't thrive.

The bushes are approximately 2ft wide/tall now. Any idea how long it will take them to grow to 4ft tall? The area will get lots of morning/midday sun and will be sheltered from the hot afternoon stuff.

Comments (11)