SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

How do I start seeds in the ground when it is baked on top?

aliska12000
17 years ago

I started as many as I could inside, even though I put them in a south window, some are crooked, hope they will still flower.

The ones I'm worried about are baby's breath perenniel, 1/8 inch deep, the packet says it's best to sow them where they are to grow, will tolerate drought once established. The others are zinnias, delphinium, cleome, foxglove, several others, some you cover, some you surface sow.

They have to stay moist at least until they germinate. How do I do that when the ground dries out so fast and I can't mulch baby seedlings?

The only thing I can think of for the baby's breath which I want between the rose plants is to use a gallon milk jug with a slit cut in the bottom for a slow drip.

The others are border plants or for the front slope and other places. The front facing south is the worst. I can't put milk jugs everywhere or water I mean it is like 4 or 5 times a day right now. Next year I will try to put in an irrigation system, but can't now.

We used to sow these seeds all the time in May, and I don't remember having to water and fuss this much.

Is there a trick? Some have to stay on the surface and stay moist like my poppy seeds. I think I will lose what I've already planted, will hold the rest in reserve and plant in the fall.

Other parts of the country people have to start seeds in dry places. It is supposed to cool off for the next four days and some days cloudy which will help some.

Comments (10)