SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kids2spoyl

I finally got one!

kids2spoyl
16 years ago

I've been direct sowing hollyhocks in a side bed next to the house for about 4 yrs. Every spring and every fall...

Hubby is an obsessive "weed puller" and I think that when my babies have sprouted he pulls them out. But apparently he missed one!

When this thing first came out last month, we thought it was a stray squash with those big lush leaves. But then it kept getting taller....and taller. It now stands at a little over 3 ft. So , needless to say I realized it wasn't a squash. Hubby, yet again, wanted to pull it out since we didn't know what it was

I have spent a lot of time going back through my notes as to what I've planted and/or sown in that bed to try to figure it out. When it started putting on buds on the stalk itself I was REALLY at a loss and very nearly convinced myself that yes, this is probably a weed afterall.

A few minutes ago, I was strolling through some garden pictures and saw something that caught my eye and thought "now that looks familiar...". Sure enough...it's my unrecognized, overgrown, mutant squash called HOLLYHOCK!!!

I'm doing the happy dance! I have no idea WHICH hollyhock, as I have sown so many different kinds/colors...but at this point I don't care. I'm just so tickled to finally have gotten one to survive my weedpullywacky hubby.

Can you guess what I'll be sowing again this fall? hehe

Gina

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:236058}}

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting