SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharpy_808

A1 Gritty Mix and Cactus Seed Propagation questions

Sharpy.808
12 years ago

Hello folks, new to the forums and have a few questions.

I have done a large amount of research on this subject, but still have some cloudy areas I'm not quite sure about. Also did some searching here and didn't have any luck finding a thread on this subject. (It's probably out there I just didn't find it)

So here is the process I have so far. Combined information from several sources.

Seedling mix - 50/50 Turface/Grit (granite or sand) couple inches deep, covered with 1/8" layer of turface fines.

Thoroughly water the 50/50 first then add the layer of fines. Mist with water bottle to wet the fine layer.

Sprinkle seeds on top. Cover the seeds with a super fine layer, or optionally leave them on the surface.

Place container in zip lock bag and put into foil lined enclosure with lighting 2-4 inches above containers. And maintain ~80F.

Once germinated, slowly open the bag over a 1 week period to introduce the seedlings to the atmosphere.

Once in open air, maintain the moisture till about the 5 month age range. During this time still under fluorescent light, we are fertilizing with foliage-pro 9-3-6 at 1/4 strength working up to 1/2 strength, every other week.

Then start the hardening process.

Sound plan? Good/Bad? Anything that appears incorrect is what I'm looking to find out.

Do you sterilize the gritty mix in a microwave or is this not necessary?

All the seeds I will be starting are varieties of Astrophytum - Asterias and Myriostigma.

I can maintain a higher temperature if required.

Sorry for the long post folks, but this is has been driving me crazy and wanted to just get it all out in one shot :P

Thanks a lot for any input

Doug

Comments (5)