SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Propagating Xeric New Mexican seeds in Texas Question.

I collected many seeds of aster like and heterotheca like and other plants while traveling the roads out there.. I Planted them not long ago in 4" pots and in the ground( decomposed grant mixed with limestone soil.. I planted last week and I am already getting blast off on many of the seeds in the pots but not in the ground. Those xeric plants are real opportunist. It is surprising how fast they will germinate. I did this 5 years ago and and let them grow larger and then planted them but the heat hit and killed many things. TRUE it was during the Spring of the big drought of 2011. Maybe this year we won't have 111 in May.

My thinking is that some of these might be annuals and I should put them in the ground NOW while we are still a bit cool and see if they will survive transplanting while tiny by getting their roots down quickly before the heat. The seeds that I planted in the ground have not germinated. I hate watering around cactus at this time of year.

What are your ideas on this subject. I know many are from hot and dry lands. God knows how nature does it because I have such a hard time second guessing things.

Comments (78)

Sponsored