SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Creating a spring w/ watercress

Debbie Downer
10 years ago

Now kinda thinking of having one or maybe both of my exit tubes go to the back (behind the small curved wall you see in the pick) where I want to create a spring like effect where water bubbles up from the rocks in a shallow basin about 2 ft wide and 6 feet long and then goes down a slight incline through openings in the rock wall back into the pond in a trickly springlike kind of way, vs a noisy mountain stream. I want to grow watercress and that would be a good place for it.

Questions: would it work to drill holes in the tubing after it gets to the basin and then pile rocks over it ? Not a thick layer of them - about 6 inches. Or should I treat it more like a stream (I guess it sort of is) with one tube discharging at the highest point in the basin?

I know the noisy mountain stream is best for aeration of water. Well, could I compensate to some extent by turning over the water more frequently - maybe even as much as 2 x per hour? I just really like that soft gurgly trickly sound more than the gusher I now have.
Re plants - does water cress and/or marsh marigold survive the winter in solid ice? I think Id rather shut down the pond and move fish inside as Ive been doing.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting