SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizzyw2001

New to roses and need advice

Lizzyw2001
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new to rose gardening and I wanted to see if I could pick your brains. My husband and I bought our first house and decided to add a rose garden. We planted a total of 20 rose bushes throughout the yard. They are all HT's. Lots of sun and the soil where we live is pretty sandy and drains well. I was told and we did, to put in a drip system and to give the roses a "deep" watering once a week. Is that appropriate to do? I don't want to rot the roots. Also, am I really supposed to give them rose food every month from spring-summer?

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Liz

Comments (20)

• kittymoonbeam
    12 years ago

A good mulch makes all the difference. When I started putting on mulch, I saved water, kept the weeds down and the rose roots cool in summer. This was the best rose advice I ever got.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Sounds like you have a good start on your new house and garden. Would you care to share the general region you live in? Sometimes that can affect the kind of advice we might give. The state would be helpful info., for instance.

You are right--roses like to be watered but not over-watered. You might check periodically to see how wet the soil is at different times in your watering cycle. Ideally, the soil would be moist but not soggy. The soil should still have some crumbling possibilities. Carefully dig down 6 inches in the soil and see how it is there. Then you will have some basis for deciding if it is too wet or too dry.

How often you feed the roses depends on what you feed them. Some people use the coninuous feeders which can last anywhere from 2-3 months up to 6 months (read the label--it will tell you.) Osmocote is a popular example. Some rose gardeners give the roses a good organic feeding in the spring and that is pretty much it. And other gardeners do just about everything in between those two possibilities. Eveyone will give you their favorite method and then you will just have to try some of them out and see which ones work best in your growing conditions.

Myself, I give the roses an early spring feeding and a second feeding after the roses finish their first big spring blooming flush. That may be all I get around to, but I usually tell myself that I'd like to give a third feeding after the roses finish their summer blooming flush--and sometimes I even remember to do that. Roses often have a good blooming time as autumn takes over, so a lot of gardeners like to make sure the rose go into that autumn cycle with at least a small feeding if nothing else.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your roses.

Kate

• Related Discussions

New to roses -- need advice

Q

Comments (9)
    AvaVictoria -- Jacqueline2 (see post above) will be a good guide for you. I am located in Southern CA, but on the coast, so you get more winter than I do. Tea Roses are the most regular repeat bloomers. The modern Hybrid Tea Roses inherited that trait from the Teas, and the Teas are still champs. Bloom size will vary from one cultivar to another, so you'll want to make individual selections. I suggest that you might want to visit places where you can see mature plants, rather than roses in pots. Use Google to find: 1. The San Jose Heritage Roses Garden, part of Guadeloupe Gardens in San Jose, and . . . 2. The Historic Rose Garden in the Old Sacramento City Cemetery, 1000 Broadway, Sacramento, CA. That garden will hold an Open Garden and Rose Sale on April 20. This is a great opportunity to acquire roses otherwise not offeree in commerce. Other public rose gardens should likewise help you decide what you want. Availability of roses is descending into a very black hole at the moment, with fewer and fewer nurseries growing roses, and fewer offering them. For moderns, Reagan's Nursery over on the East side of the Bay has a huge selection. For Teas and their other older kin, most use mail order sources. Such roses will be small plants grown on their own roots, for the most part. Whether you go for modern or older roses, you're not going to have a complete rose garden overnight. Roses will take months and years to grow up, and "be all they can be." Avoid planting too closely. The newly-planted rose garden should look under-planted, until plants grow up and mature, and fill it in. Jeri
    ...See More

Need advice from the Pros on new roses

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you, Jeri - I always take the advice of anyone who is the namesake for a rose! I appreciate the information re: Frances D/Barcelona, as well. I've decided to leave all of them alone since none of these have truly developed root systems. I would hate to cause any damage; the Ducher separated on its own with no help from me, so I'll leave it at that. Thank you so much, and I enjoyed browsing through your gorgeous website!
    ...See More

New rose grower, need advice

Q

Comments (5)
    oh yeah i like Mrs Joseph Schwartz also, thats another rose i had my eye on along with Duchesse de Brabant,i just never concidered them for my shadier location. I went out and look at that area again and its getting about 3hrs of sun, and im hoping for something that will still flower good in that amount of sun.
    ...See More

New to gardening, need advice on Rose bushes and Perennials

Q

Comments (1)
    You might want to post your questions in the rose forum. Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Forum
    ...See More
  • roseseek
    12 years ago

Lizzy, where do you live? If your soil is sandy and drains well, you can't rot the roots. If anything, if your drainage is that good and you have any real heat, the drip and once a week soaking may not be enough water. Sandy soil doesn't retain moisture well. Combine that with triple digit heat, full, hot sun and any kind of wind and aridity and you can easily dry them out to the point they die. Knowing where you live and any unusual climate/weather conditions you have will make all the difference in how appropriate and good the advice you receive is. Kim

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Sounds like you have a good start on your new house and garden. Would you care to share the general region you live in? Sometimes that can affect the kind of advice we might give. The state would be helpful info., for instance.

You are right--roses like to be watered but not over-watered. You might check periodically to see how wet the soil is at different times in your watering cycle. Ideally, the soil would be moist but not soggy. The soil should still have some crumbling possibilities. Carefully dig down 6 inches in the soil and see how it is there. Then you will have some basis for deciding if it is too wet or too dry.

How often you feed the roses depends on what you feed them. Some people use the coninuous feeders which can last anywhere from 2-3 months up to 6 months (read the label--it will tell you.) Osmocote is a popular example. Some rose gardeners give the roses a good organic feeding in the spring and that is pretty much it. And other gardeners do just about everything in between those two possibilities. Eveyone will give you their favorite method and then you will just have to try some of them out and see which ones work best in your growing conditions.

Myself, I give the roses an early spring feeding and a second feeding after the roses finish their first big spring blooming flush. That may be all I get around to, but I usually tell myself that I'd like to give a third feeding after the roses finish their summer blooming flush--and sometimes I even remember to do that. Roses often have a good blooming time as autumn takes over, so a lot of gardeners like to make sure the rose go into that autumn cycle with at least a small feeding if nothing else.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your roses.

Kate

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

gardenweb (believe it or not) has a find-your-zone-by-zip-code page. It is somewhat helpful to know your growing zone.

Here is a link that might be useful: find your zone

• Lizzyw2001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys for the response.
    I forget to post where I live. I'm in So Ca zone 9 and the summer gets pretty hot here for a couple of weeks in August. Max it's been is 110.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Not to be intrusive -- but Southern California encompasses a wide diversity of soil and water types -- among other differences.

When we planted our first roses -- about 25 years ago -- we were careful to plant only roses that came highly recommended, and WOW! It took us less than a year to begin to learn that many roses which were dynamite in the warmer parts of Los Angeles, and the San Gabriel Valley (where I grew up) were disasters here. Our soil, water, relative humidity and amount of ocean influence made a huge difference. I think, at this point, we only have one or two of the roses we started with.

But I think in all parts of Southern California, deep mulching is desirable.
    Monthly feeding is probably NOT necessary, unless you are aiming for the Exhibition table.
    And only in a relatively wet winter will you be likely to get by with watering once weekly. Twice a week, I think, is probably going to be needed. And occasionally, when the dry Santa Ana Winds begin to scream -- an extra watering, or a hose-washing, would be a really good idea.

In Southern California, water is far more valuable than fertilizers.

Jeri, Coastal Ventura County
    Southern California

• Lizzyw2001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The area I'm in is Murrietta, Ca. It's north of San Diego. We have the drip system hooked up to all of the bushes and they get watered this way 2x a day on a cycle that runs about 3 minutes per. Then I was was told to give them a good deep watering with the hose once a week, which is what we've been doing. The soil is as dublinbay described, not soggy, but damp.

What kind of mulch would you recommend?

• miteymo
    12 years ago

I see many SoCal rose gardeners here. I live in San Pedro and I live very close to the ocean. We have been battling rust/powedery mildew ever since we moved here - 20 years ago. I know this is probably "just the way it is" here, but can anyone provide the names or hybrid roses they can recommend for this type of SoCal climate? Thanks so much. Happy gardening! MaryO (miteymo)

• leezen4u
    12 years ago

LizzyW, I hope you and your husband enjoy your first house! You will find that many of the posters here are great resources.

I use garden mulch from one of the local garden center's such as Lowe's or Home Depot. Some have fertilizers in them and some don't. We use a different one each time we mulch. I try to look for one that has worm castings and other organic additives.

2 times each year (late February and late July) we add 2 cups of Alfalfa pellets around each plant or you can use alfalfa meal from your local nursery. If you buy pellets make sure to get the one without without any sweetener (i.e. molasses). You can purchase pellets from your local feed store.

On top of the pellets we add a 2-3" layer of mulch then we add decorative bark as a final layer.

If we use alfalfa meal we add it to the mulch and mix together before application.

My experience is, the alfalfa increases rose cane size and plant vigor. The mulch reduces disease (fungus and insects), holds in moisture (protecting shallow roots from drying out) and as it breaks down, improves the quality your native soil. The bark prevents weeds, reduces water evaporation, adds a finished look to your beds and usually prevents the mulch from washing away.

If you use a good quality granular rose fertilizer every 6-8 weeks according to the product directions from January after pruning through early October your roses should perform beautifully.

If you are inclined to take the time there are other organic, water soluble fertilizers you can use between granular feedings such as fish emulsion, liquid seaweed, liquid iron and zinc (I use Grow More brand) and Super Thrive.

Good luck and good gardening,

Lee

• leezen4u
    12 years ago

Hi Mary,

Coastal gardening can be a challenge and a joy at the same time. I live in Palos Verdes and have also grown roses in Torrance and Manhattan Beach. My list of mildew and rust resistant roses is:

Hybrid Teas:
    Mellow Yellow
    New Zealand
    Gemini
    Ingrid Bergman
    Just Joey
    Olympiad
    Voodoo

Floribundas:
    Honey Perfume
    Trumpeter
    Mardi Gras (not the Hybrid tea)
    Playboy
    Gruss an Aachen
    Sexy Rexy
    Sheila's Perfume
    Sunsprite
    Our Lady Of Guadalupe

Grandifloras:
    Fame
    About Face
    Tournament of Roses

Shrub Roses:
    Belinda's Dream
    Bonica
    Carefree Beauty
    Gourmet Popcorn

Hope this helps. You might try a separate new post for your question. You also might plan a visit to the South Coast Botanical Gardens in Palos Verdes in April or May and see what you like that they are growing. If you search this Garden Web for discussions of rust and mildew prevention you will find easy methods of minimizing mildew and rust. Some common tips are:

1. Watering only in the morning gives your roses a chance to dry in the sun during the day.

2. Mulching reduces fungus (mildew and rust) and insects.

3. Hose spraying your roses with a water wand each week to wash off insects and fungus spores.

4. Removing any roses or plants that regularly suffer from mildew and / or rust no matter what you do.

5. Try organic sprays for prevention. There are recipes out there on the internet.

The Otto and Sons Nursery website does a good job of providing rose lists that explain the characteristics, coastal tolerance and disease / heat resistance of the roses they sell.

Happy Gardening,

Lee

Here is a link that might be useful: Otto and Sons Nursery in Filmore, Ca.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    12 years ago

Perhaps I missed it, but I haven't seen anyone recommend a soil test. I suggest you get one before you throw fertilizer or other amendments at your roses.
    I also have sand and I recommend you work in organics. They help hold moisture.

• Lizzyw2001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for your help. It's much appreciated! This was an investment and I want too learn as much as I can. @ Lee, I'll try your suggestions, thanks!!!:)

Liz

• elina14
    12 years ago

all are right with their explanations....you just simply try to maintain them, after following the plantation techniques,as taking care is the big thing to be handled

• miteymo
    12 years ago

Lee,
    Thanks so much! And thanks to all that replied. This is wonderful information. I have been to the Botanical Gardens, but will make it a point to go in May. And I will definitely look into Otto and Sons Nursery.

Really appreciate the help. MaryO (miteymo)

• kstrong
    12 years ago

There are two roses societies near you and I'd recommend you check out both of them. They are very different in focus. The Temecula Valley Rose Society (10 minutes south from you) is more a "general gardening" type club and the Mountain View Rose Society in Moreno Valley (30 minutes north from you) is more the traditional rose society that focuses exclusively on roses. Give them both a look-see, and I'm sure you will not only learn lots about your rosess, but probably make some great new friends in the process (and that's what it's all about, isn't it?)

Both of them have evening meetings coming up this month that sound interesting, and I see Mountain View is also having a Saturday seminar on March 10. It's a "consulting rosarian" class, but don't worry about that part, just go, learn, meet the people, eat the food and skip the "open book test," which is silly anyway.

Kathy

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Mary -- We've gardened in a coastal area for 25 years. Over that time, we've planted and removed more roses than I care to think about -- if they're not disease-free here without spray, they don't stay.

Few Hybrid Teas remain in our garden.

We find we do best with a selection of Tea Roses, China Roses (mostly the red Chinas), and many of the Noisette Roses. Those don't rust or mildew for us. A handful of Hybrid Perpetuals (tho they're "thirstier" than the aforementioned), and a very small number of Austin roses.

These are some of our "stalwarts":
    Grandmother's Hat (it is first, and foremost)
    Mons. Tillier
    Rosette Delizy
    Niles Cochet
    Louis Philippe
    Archduke Charles
    Cramoisi Superieur
    Reve d'Or (grown as a climber)
    Secret Garden Musk Climber
    (Cl.) Sombreuil
    Golden Celebration (Austin)
    Buff Beauty
    Bishop Darlington
    Sally Holmes
    Flower Girl (Modern Shrub Rose)
    International Herald Tribune (Floribunda)
    Gardens Of The World (HT, may be difficult to find)

Other roses that form the basis of our garden are "Found" roses, which are not always available in commerce.

Jeri Jennings
    Coastal Ventura County, Southern California
    Heritage Roses Group

• miteymo
    12 years ago

Wow! Thanks Jeri! This is perfect! And thanks Kathy for the links to the rose clubs. Wonderful. You folks ROCK! MaryO (miteymo).

• harmonyp
    12 years ago

I live a lot farther north and more inland, but sounds like our ground conditions are similar. My roses would fry with once a week watering on my sandy (but religiously mulched) soil, no matter how deeply I watered. I can't seem to get by without every other day watering in the peak of summer.

Especially with new roses. For my roses that are less than a few months old when summer hits, I have to water them every day.

Your roses will tell you...

• kittymoonbeam
    12 years ago

Who was that in Florida who built raised beds above the sandy soil and grew the roses that way to keep the roots moist. I thought it was a good idea. As I recall he had posts and beams above the beds so he could put up shade cloth in summer.

The whole thing was recycled from the previous owners vegetable garden area.