SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aubade

omg so annoyed. 20 watts bulbs not enough?!

aubade
15 years ago

Hi all. Sorry if this question has been asked ad infinitum, but I searched and can't find a specific answer.

This is my situation: first time trying to grow seedlings inside and don't know anything about lights. I read in many gardening books that your average florescent "shop light" is enough so, I went to Lowe's, asked the employee and ended up with a 24" fixture that fits two tube bulbs (40" is too big for my shelf) and two GE F20T12 20 watts florescent bulbs. One is "sunshine" - light output 875 lumens and the other is "plant and aquarium" - output 875 lumens. (whatever that means)

Thank goodness my husband knows a little about wiring because I didn't even know you had to buy a corded switch to even be able to plug the thing in. (none of the gardening FAQ's said that!) We finally get it hooked up, hooray- and then of course, today I come across a post saying that 20 isn't enough, you need at least 40 watts bulbs!

So my question is, did I get the wrong thing? Do I need to go out now and buy 40 watts bulbs?

Mainly, I want to grow a couple trays of flowers like nasturtiums, bergamot, english daisy, balloon flower & marigolds. I already have some leggy lettuce too.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (12)