SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rgillman

OMG - I am in a panic ! Is this normal?? And a pendant question..

rgillman
16 years ago

My turn to rant! I, who have been so calm throughout this whole process, am suddenly frantic. Help!

The blue tape is the island. It looks so teeny that I am afraid it will be ridiculous. Please tell me it looks tiny because it is tape, not cabinets and counter.

On the other hand, it needs to be narrow (25" x 81" including a 12" overhang at one end)because the kitchen is only 11' wide. It is a WORK island. There will be 38" between counter and island and about 32" on the other side between island and the 12" deep pantry. Fine. But the issue is this: when the oven door is open, there is only about 17" of space in which I can stand between the open door and the island. Tight fit, especially when I bend over - LOL. My daughter says this is a good incentive.

And my contractor tells me not to spend too much time admiring the open space because when everything goes in, it will be more crowded than it was. This is because I will have an island instead of a peninsula. The island will take up what was open space. Thanks, Michael. One more thing to worry about: will it feel too crowded? Will I be sorry?

AARRGH. I have to keep telling myself that large open space doesn't necessarily translate to efficiency.

Then he tells me that because the advantium cabinet and 3 drawers are at a 45 degree angle to the dishwasher, the dw has to be pushed all the way back as far as it can go so when I open a drawer, it doesn't clip th edge of the dw. Oy!

Just what I need. There will be a 3" spacer between the drawer cabinet and the dw, but one more thing to lose sleep over!

And I put the icemaker in the island between my 3 36" drawers and the 18" 4-drawer stack because I was trying to save $$ (silly me) of not having to buy an extra end panel for the icemaker. And I should probably have left it at the end..and on and on and on. EEEEK - what is happening to me? Stage fright? Buyer's remorse? Cold feet? All to no avail because the custom cabinets are in the warehouse.

Then there is an electrical glitch (which can me remedied, so I am not worried - but it is annoying). That is another story.

But more important - do I have 2 pendants or 3 over the island? I am down to two sets of pendants - both totally different, but both around 7". They are taking out two high-hats which are not exactly over the island and putting in lights that ARE. Originally I was going to have 2, but 7" seems small and they take 100w bulbs.

I have to go to sleep, but tomorrow I will try to post the pix of the pendants. Sleep? Did I say SLEEP???? AARGH.

Comments (16)