SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sdrawkcab

Silvery leaves reddish berries with white speckles?

sdrawkcab
14 years ago

Today while walking along a multi-use path near my house I found a small tree/shrub that I could not identify. Below are some of the specifics I remember about it as I did not have a camera with me.

Growing in full sun in what I believe to be fairly moist soil (it's a floodplain for a creek)

10-15ft tall with branches that drooped significantly under the weight of the fruits

From a distance the leaves had a silvery reflection in the sun but once you got up close they were much more green.

The limbs were absolutely loaded with small (about the diameter of a pencil eraser) reddish fruits that are covered in white speckles. The fruits grew in clumps right off the branches for the entire length of most of the branches.

The I was so intrigued with the berries that I didn't pay much attention to the leaves but best I can recall they were pretty generic looking and lanceolate in shape.

The branches of the plant were absolutely covered in berries to the point that they were drooping from the weight.

The bark was smooth, gray, and pretty generic looking.

I'v tried some google searches but nothing seems to fit exactly what I saw. Buffaloberry is supposedly kind of silvery but it has thorns. Goumi also looks kind of similar in pictures but not quite. Sea Buckthorn looks to have a similar amount of fruit but this fruit was a reddish/pink color, not orange.

Any ideas that you all have would be much appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths