SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drrich2

Shrub Advice; 5 - 9' tall, evergreen, green, red berries

drrich2
14 years ago

Hi:

We've got a back yard about 200' long & 120' wide, at the edge of town. I'm working on a shrub list to run down one side. The fence (home-made with treated posts, boards and farm wire) is ~ 5'4" tall. Southwestern KY, Zone 6.

Starting at the front corner, I've got 1 Golden Euonymus bush, then another 7.5' down, then 4 Emerald Green Arborvitae 7.5' down (spaced at 4' centers, to rise up & block the view of a neighbor's dog kennel), then 2 more Golden Euonymus bushes at 7.5' intervals. (Way down toward the far end are 2 Crepe Myrtle bushes).

I wanted to put 2 Heavenly Bamboo at 7.5' intervals, but found out they're a danger to dogs & we've got 3. 1 link on the topic:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080806134618AAoIze2

(I had another link, but evidently that site triggers GardenWeb's spam filter, so I can't link you to it directly).

I'm considering 2 Pyracantha 'Mohave' instead; hopefully upright. I'm not enthused about the thorns, though.

'Winter Red' winterberry (a type of holly) looks like a good choice; might use it, but it's deciduous. All other things being equal, I like lush greenery during winter, not that barren 'dead look' the country side acquires.

Is there perhaps an EVERGREEN holly with a pyramidal (not round) form reaching 6 - 8' tall (but not 20 or 30!) with pretty bright red berries that doesn't have prominent thorny leaves (such as could stick our Jack Russell's when he runs the fence row after my neighbor's 4-wheeler)?

I know holly berries are toxic, but the risk of serious harm seems mild. Heavenly Bamboo seems more worrisome, which is a shame since I'd like to've tried some.

I've got some other shrub plans for further down; Tatarian Dogwood 'Argenteo-marginata/Elegantissima,' & Roseglow Japanese Barberry (yeah, some thorns; wonder how bad?). Thanks is advance for your help!

Richard.

P.S.: Here are some pics of our backyard, taken over time, to give you some idea what we're working with.

{{gwi:239607}}

{{gwi:239608}}

{{gwi:239609}}

Comments (8)